Studying without concentration is like trying to fill a bucket with water when the bucket has a hole in its bottom.
In the fast-pacing race of competitiveness, staying focused has become a tough row to hoe. Our mind is like an unbridled horse and controlling it in order to direct all attention in a specific and singular direction is thought next to impossible. Today, scores of students complain that they just can’t concentrate, and that minds race from one thing to another and their thoughts are all over the place – except on their studies.
Think of a time when you were totally engrossed in something you really enjoyed, for example a movie, a book, a game of cricket or football. The trick is to use the right strategies to unlock your natural ability to concentrate and apply these to your studies.
For a student, attention and concentration are two very important weapons in the arsenal for sailing through the exams. A student must master both these aspects, only then can he think about actually understanding something. So, is there a way to improve concentration? If there is, how can one increase concentration in studies?
Concentration is like a muscle in your body. Like a muscle, you can build concentration. All you need to follow are a few simple tricks and you shall see remarkable changes in your concentration levels. So here are 17 simple tips to improve concentration while studying:
- Find an appropriate study environment
- Gather all of your studying material to avoid disrupting yourself
- Keep your space organized
- Unplug from unnecessary electronics
- Set study goals
- Make a schedule for study time, and keep with it
- Utilize the time of the day which suits you the best
- Subdivide your large assignments into small steps
- Take short breaks, get up and walk around
- Be an active learner
- Take nutritious food at short intervals
- Drink enough water to stay hydrated
- Have at least 15 minutes of exercise, stretching and any aerobic
- Meditate for at least 10 minutes daily
- Get enough sleep to have a full tank of willpower and focus
- Clear your mind of worrisome thoughts
- Maintain and visualize strong goals of completion
If your motive is to develop an ability to stay focused and concentrated for longer hours, you should make the process of studying more interesting for yourself! If you start enjoying the studying process, you will see significant improvement in your exam grades and quality of life!
With a sense of determination, and by implementing some effective study techniques, even the dullest subjects can be conquered with increased concentration during a study session. At the end of the day only one thing matters, that is how much information and knowledge you have gathered.
Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right things.